PDA

View Full Version : Calcium Reactor Effluent

Bill
06-24-2003, 02:05 PM
I'm running a fat GEO reactor on a 180gal reef and I'm using a Neptune controller. My question is about the effluent and bubble rates. I just got my system up and going after a move between houses and I'm just starting to focus on this reactor. I am WAY OVER the whole Hardness / Alkalinity additives and want this system to reduce my maintenance. My effluent is currently dripping at about 180 drops per minute and my CO2 bubble rate is about 5 per minute. I'm just easing into this to get me started. What should the pH of the effluent be? Is 180 drops/min about right for my tank size or should I move it? I'd like the tank to live in the 8.25 to 8.3 pH range during the day and not below 8.05 at night. I'm worried that if I bubble too fast for my drip rate, I'll end up with low pH effluent and eat away at buffering capacity. Any thoughts here?

Oh, and the GEO reactor is setup with an M3 CO2 system and the Neptune and I can't say enough about the quality of the GEO built unit. Super compact, uses MAG pump (one of my favorites), hold a full 8 lb can of A.R.M., just love it.

Chuck S
06-24-2003, 06:19 PM
Okay I have a 120 and 55 tied into a central sump. I have a dual Geo. I use about 55BPM and dose about 35-40ML effluent. Your PH of the effluent should be around 6.6-6.8 for good dissolving. Now I have stocked tanks. I would test where your at now but see how many drops you make into ML.

A good place to start is around 25BPM and about 25ML and go up from there.

DaveC
07-01-2003, 07:45 AM
I have the same setup as you do including the M3 guages...I have mine set for 40BPM and a drip of approx 40ml...it seems to be working okay....I had started out a little lower on both settings when it was new..I have been using the reactor for about 1 month now and I love this thing....my Alk is 11dh and calcium is 410..and my tank if fairly loaded with mostly SPS, and a few softs..

DaveC

David Grigor
07-01-2003, 05:23 PM
Bill,

It is doubtful if using your Reactor for all your CA/Alk needs that you will be able to keep your PH that high because of the addition of CO2.

The lower PH when using a CA reactor is from the increased CO2 in the tank from the effluent. The lower PH in this instance does nothing to your buffering capactiy if that's what you worried about.

If using a Reactor for all your CA/ALK needs and wanting to keep your PH that high, your in a Catch 22 situation. You most likely will not be able to get your media to dissolve in concentration that you need to maintain CA/ALK levels without increasing your Co2 rate thus PH will drop lower than your target of 8.2-8.3 in the tank. Reducing the Co2 to keep the tank PH that high and your not going to meet your CA/ALK needs......thus the catch 22.

If your wanting to do both, keep your PH high and still use CA reactor to maintain elevated CA/ALK, your best bet is dose Kalk in your topoff water or use a Neilson Kalk reactor in conjuction with the CA reactor.....

Bill
08-03-2003, 05:59 PM
I see what you mean about the Catch 22 situation. I am discovering that if I run my effluent down where Omegatron suggests, my pH ends up about 8.05 most of the day. I have therefore added a dual head peristaltic pump to dose my NatuReef Hardness and Alkalinity additives. My Alk is only about 125ppm currently but my Calcium measures upwards of 600ppm. Everything got a little out of whack in the move. I left the RO/DI valve on a few times after I moved and overflowed my sump into the drain ... dropped my salinity down to about 1.018. I'm back up to 1.021 now.